Spring is here and with it the long-awaited thaw and return of football. But before you stumble blindly into another mediocre flag football experience, take a look at 10 ways to dominate the league this year:
1. The tone
If your league says the ball is dead when it hits the ground (and most do), absolutely must Take advantage of the winger: You can turn a loss of yardage into a touchdown. With each play, your players should think about the tone.
two. A mighty race
Don’t make the mistake of using “spare” players as runners. Instead, use your best athletes to rush, it will pay off. A nasty attack can completely neutralize a quarterback and demoralize the opposing offense.
A flexible team is a winning team. Take time to plan so you don’t try to invent your strategy in the field. Here are some things to develop:
– A plan for an overwhelming career (release of blockers, fast passes, throws)
– A plan for a team that doesn’t rush (QB sneaks away, two-move routes)
– A dominant defense (zone or man, blitzes, audible)
– A plan to handle a fast and changing QB (additional runners,
Four. A good playbook
Nine times out of ten, a good scheme will beat pure athletics. You need organization and games. If you’re not willing (or just don’t have the time) to create a full playbook, try a site like Flag Soccer Ninja.
5. Simple rotations
If you have a large team, the playing time rotation can turn into total chaos. Find an efficient and organized way to replace players. Avoid team politics by spreading talent around the rotation rather than having its “starters” first. A reserve team without playmakers is useless to take to the field at almost any point in the game.
Defense wins championships. Generally, teams of 5 or less should play man-to-man defense unless the field is small. A zone can work with a larger team. Every defense will have its weak points, but giving the quarterback too much time is unacceptable. So dispatch your running backs as often as you can and use the bombardment aggressively to keep the quarterback on the run. Also, a zone falls apart completely if its defenders don’t stick to their places.
Unfortunately, this takes practice. But if your quarterback can dominate a handful of routes (or even a couple), throwing just when the catcher cuts, you can build a championship offense. A quarterback who can match precision and timing can’t be stopped.
Everybody wants to go deep. While there’s a lot to be said about having a few long plays in your arsenal, in general, you’ll do much better with shorter, more consistent plays. A relentless short game will wear down the defense much more effectively than a few long plays, and successive completions also hit the opponent’s psyche.
9. Experiment early
Regardless of how good your scheme is going into the season, it will be better if you adjust after each game. Each team has its own chemistry. Based on the concept of flexibility, try as many plays and schemes as you can early in the season, but by playoff time you should have outlined what works best for your team. After a few weeks of regular season play, you need to know what works and what looks better on paper than on the field.
10. Flag pulling
Nothing is more important in flag football than being able to pull the flag. Again, nothing is more important in flag football than being able to pull the flag. This sounds silly, but time after time, short dump passes turn into touchdowns due to missed pulls.
Please try the following:
· Don’t wait with flat feet: If you expect the ball carrier to zip past while waving and hitting the flags, you are setting yourself up for disaster. Instead, find the ball carrier ASAP and move with the ball carrier while pulling the flags.
· Hinder: Most flag leagues don’t allow (much) contact. This is why it can be especially useful to stand in the path of the ball carrier while trying to pull the flag. They cannot fool you; they have to go around. This slows them down and gives you more time to pull the flag.
· Search: If everyone on your team chases the game, you will win more games. You will have fewer escapades because if one boy loses the flag, another is there.
Follow these tips and you are on your way to your own championships.