While on hold with SiriusXm Radio last night, I thought I’d drop some insights on how to get the absolute BEST deals in satellite radio. I renewed my 2 satellite radios and thus I get my service for more than half of the normal monthly rate. Follow these steps and I can almost guarantee you will save money and / or get you some gifts to keep you happy.
- If you are a current customer, ask to speak to the Cancellation Department. BE NICE about it, but tell them you just want to speak to the Cancellation Department.
- If you are not a current customer, use the following tactics to get a new account as well. Just do this with a regular customer service person.
- Once you reach these people, rule number 1 is to be NICE. Remember that they are people too, so treat them with kindness and keep them cheerful. I’m sure 90% of the people they talk to are angry, frustrated, or just plain jerks. Don’t be the 90%.
- Don’t forget to smile as you speak, this is a tried and true method that makes your tone on the phone that much more upbeat and friendly.
- Use their first name when talking to them. This is Sales 101. We all love hearing our names and I bet over 90% of people never take the time to use reps. Name.
- I usually start by saying, “Okay manager name, are you ready to play? Let’s make a deal tonight.” This almost always elicits laughter and begins the conversation with a friendly tone. If they don’t laugh, well, they must be lame.
- Explain to them that you really want to keep the service, but you need a super good deal to make it happen. Remind them how long you’ve been a customer, and if you can afford it, tell them that if you make a deal, you can pay for the entire year while on the phone.
- Don’t get frustrated and start threatening. Kill them nicely if you want to end the call with a few extra bucks in your pocket. Take your time and remember, whoever speaks first loses. By that I mean ask for something and then shut up, don’t say anything and even if it’s an awkward silence, eventually they will start talking to break the silence. This also works if they offer you a deal that you think is not good.
This doesn’t just work for radio providers, it works well for cell phone providers as well. I have Sprint and have received countless credits on my account, free smartphones, a free extra line added to my account with a free BlackBerry to use on it, and free monthly bonus minutes and text messages added to my monthly plan.
*** By the way, I ended up with my wonderful cancellation representative. And he gave me another full year for $ 31.08 less than what I paid last year! Cha-Ching!