The one thing collection agencies don’t want you to know

Closed border states are great for people who owe money to live on because many collection agencies can never call or contact you in any way.

The exceptions to this are business accounts and if the collection agency trying to collect a debt from you is licensed in the same state you are in.

The way this works in your favor is that if the collection agency that is trying to collect a debt from you is not licensed in your state, they will not be able to put anything on your credit report. Let me explain why… The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Acts state that you must notify the debtor (which is you) in writing that you have 30 days to dispute the validity of a debt in writing or the debt will be presumed valid. Since a collection agency can’t contact you when you live in a closed border state, they can’t send it to you, and even if you weren’t in a closed border state when you made the debt, you can still remove it. .

To do this, you will need to dispute your bill. Let me make this clear up front: This doesn’t make the debt go away, but it does remove it from your credit report. If you live in a closed border state and you owe money to a collection agency that isn’t licensed in your state (most agencies aren’t licensed in multiple states, but some are), what you need to do is get the mailing address. from the collection agency that reports it to your credit report. Along with the address, you’ll need to get your account number, reference number, or file number. That is all the information you will need and you can get it in a very quick phone call, it will be quick and painless. Now that you have all of your account information, you will send them a written dispute letter. Now, in this dispute, you’ll want to specifically state that “if you can’t validate this debt, I want it removed from my credit report immediately.”

Now the real beauty of being in a closed border state is you can still contact the collection agency anytime you want about anything on your account and they can’t call you back even when you tell them to call you back, still by law they can’t call you. What you do is send the dispute letter to the collection agency with your demand that it be removed from your credit, then call them every other day just to check and see if they removed it from your credit report. or not.

Below is a list of all closed border states

New Jersey
New York*
North Carolina
North Dakota
West Virginia

*New York is not statewide, it is in Buffalo and New York City, you will need to check with your Attorney General to be absolutely sure.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *